AUGUST 16, 2021
By CHEF KEN
A staple in Middle Eastern countries, Tabouli is low in fat and a terrific source of fiber, minerals and complex carbohydrates. When shopping for ingredients, look for low sodium black olives. Lindsay is one nationally available brand that offers them.
1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup fresh minced parsley
- ¼ cup minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, minced finely
- ¼ cup scallions, minced finely
- pinch black pepper
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons chopped olives
- Bring water and bulgur wheat to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Let rest and cool for 30 minutes, so water will absorb.
- Fluff with fork and chill.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix. Chill before serving.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice or hot sauce for a boost of flavor. If desired, garnish with Toasted walnuts, cooked chick peas.