Sweet Potato Peanut Bisque
FEBRUARY 24, 2021
By CHEF KEN
Yield: 4–6 servings
2 hours, 45 minutes
3 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions and ginger in olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook five minutes longer stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add water or stock, coconut aminos, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in peanut butter.
- Cool soup to room temperature and then blend in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Reheat to serve. Season to taste (a pinch of cinnamon or curry powder will add extra zing).
- Garnish with chopped unsalted roasted peanuts and a sprig of parsley or chopped scallions.